We all know that every action has an opposite reaction or that there are two sides of the same coin, similarly we can say that every proverb has an equal and opposite proverb. Contradictory proverbs can be used positively or negatively. Here is a list of some duelling proverbs that have been reported in my book.
1. 1.Birds of a feather flock together but Opposites attract.
2. 2.The early bird catches the worm but It’s never too late.
3. Nothing ventured, nothing gained but Better safe than sorry.
4. You can’t teach an old dog new tricks but You are never too old to learn.
5. Absence make the heart grow fonder but Out of sight out of mind.
6. It’s the thought that counts but Actions speak louder than words.
7. Too many cooks spoil the broth but Two heads are better than one.
8. Best things in life are free but There is no such thing as a free lunch.
9. The more the merrier but Misery loves company.
10. Wise men think alike but Fools seldom differ.
11. A penny saved is a penny earned but Penny wise, pound foolish.
12. Don’t cross the bridge until you come to it but Forewarned is forearmed.
13. Opportunity never knocks twice on the same door but If one door shuts another opens.
14. Divide and rule but United we stand, divided we fall.
15. Strike while the iron is hot but Haste makes waste.